Application Design I Project 3: Lo-Fi App Design Prototype

Application Design I Project 3: Lo-Fi App Design Prototype


Zhang Wan Ru 0368214

25/06/2025—16/07/2025 (Week 11—Week 13)

Application Design I / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media / Taylor's University


TABLE OF CONTENTS


2. Lecture


4. Feedback


Instructions





Lecture

Week 11

Wireframing is about quickly sketching out ideas to visualize your thinking. Keep it simple—no images, details, or colors. Start with broad strokes, then add light details with a thinner pen. Focus on quantity over quality to explore more ideas. Sketching is accessible to everyone and helps make your design process visible and collaborative. Stay curious and keep the ideas flowing!

Week 12

This week we learned how to create components and microinteractions in Figma. Mr. Sylvain showed us how to use variants to create a component that changes color.


Project 3: Lo-Fi App Design Prototype


Description:

After the UX design process, it is time to create a low-fidelity prototype of the app. We need to organize all the screen wireframes, actions, and visual feedback and connect them in Figma. After that, we need to conduct usability testing, invite customers to test our low-fidelity prototype, and collect all the information, feedback, pain points, and feedback observed during the testing process. We need to record the whole process with a video and make a document with a detailed analysis of the testing tasks and solutions to the problems faced by the testers.


Initial Lo-Fi Prototype

Week 11

Sketches

We need to make a rough sketch of our project based on our user flowchart so that we can modify it and have an overall design idea for it.
 
Fig. 1.1 Sketches

Fig. 1.2 Sketches

Reference

I searched for and downloaded some language learning apps because I wanted a pro version, in addition to the basic Duolingo. It was a commercial version for language learning, with more official language content. So, it should be more formal, mature, and business-oriented. I browsed through some official apps: Baicizhan, Liulishuo, and Bubeici. I also browsed works from Pinterest.


Fig. 1.3 Reference
Sitemap

Fig. 1.4 Sitemap

Week 12

Make a Figma page based on the user flowchart and the draft drawing. Only need to make the main home page.


Wireframe

Fig. 1.5 Screenshot of the process in Figma


Then I started doing simple micro-interactions on my wireframe to make sure the application was simple to render.

Micro-interactions

1)Status Change

When a user clicks a checkbox, the system uses a checkbox animation to indicate that an action has occurred. For example, checked → unchecked, or vice versa.

Fig. 1.6 Status Change

2)Overlay

When the user clicks on an element, this interaction is triggered. After clicking, an overlay is opened to display the card's floating content. The name of the floating component is displayed. The pop-up floating layer will be displayed in the center of the screen. The user clicks on the background to close the floating layer.

Fig. 1.7 Overlay

3)Screen

Slide-in and slide-out animations are used when navigating into subpages, helping the user to understand their current location in the app.

Fig. 1.8 Screen

Low-fidelity prototype (Overall)

Fig. 1.9  Overall Lo-fi Prototype

Fig. 1.10  Overall Lo-fi Prototype



User Testing Video & Feedback

1)User Testing (1): Yee Qin

Fig. 1.11  User testing video

User Testing (2): Ivory

Fig. 1.12  User testing video

User Testing (3): Phang Ann

Fig. 1.13  User testing video

2)Feedback:

User 1 Yee Qin:

1.⁠ ⁠Were there any areas of confusion or incomprehension in the prototype navigation?
Yes, I found the flow generally clear, but there were a few minor issues. For example, when I clicked back, the back icon's interaction was a bit messed up; instead of returning to the previous page, it did something else. Also, the "View other analyses" button was a bit small and difficult to read.

2.⁠ ⁠What do you think of the analysis of errors in answering questions?
I found the error analysis very helpful. It not only pointed out my mistakes but also explained why my answers didn't work in a business context. This helped me learn how to adjust my tone and vocabulary. I especially liked the suggestions for better alternatives.

3.⁠ ⁠What do you think of the upfront personalization? Do you find it helpful or annoying?
I actually found it very helpful. Being able to pre-select my industry and learning goals made the course feel more relevant. It made me feel like the app understood my situation. Just make sure the number of questions isn't too long—ideally, keep it under six.

4.⁠ ⁠On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the overall user experience of the redesigned app?
I give it a 9 out of 10. The design is clean, the navigation is intuitive, and the business-focused content is well-thought-out. If the prototype is fully functional and well-polished, it will become a useful tool for professionals learning English.

User 2 ivory:

1.⁠ ⁠Were there any areas of confusion or incomprehension in the prototype navigation?
No, the prototype is straightforward and intuitive. The navigation flows smoothly, and the visual cues are strong enough to guide users effortlessly. Testing the prototype exceeded my expectations; it was genuinely fun and engaging, which encourages continued interaction. The design cleverly keeps motivation high, similar to Duolingo’s gamified learning approach.

2.⁠ ⁠What do you think of the analysis of errors in answering questions?
The error feedback is helpful and informative, supporting learning rather than just pointing out mistakes.

3.⁠ ⁠What do you think of the upfront personalization? Do you find it helpful or annoying?
It’s helpful and not intrusive. It makes the experience feel more tailored and relevant.

4.⁠ ⁠On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the overall user experience of the redesigned app?
9/10. It's visually appealing, smooth to use, and motivating, with only minor room for improvement.


User 3 Phang Ann:

1.⁠ ⁠Were there any areas of confusion or incomprehension in the prototype navigation?
Not much; the prototype had easy navigation, which was not confusing at all.

2.⁠ ⁠What do you think of the analysis of errors in answering questions?
It's very helpful to see analysis and informative 

3.⁠ ⁠What do you think of the upfront personalization? Do you find it helpful or annoying?
It's thoughtful. I don't find it annoying, actually.

4.⁠ ⁠On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the overall user experience of the redesigned app?
I would rate it 8 out of 10, as it's a thoughtful designed prototype that provides help in learning languages



Final Outcome
Project 3: Lo-Fi App Design Prototype

Lo-Fi prototype walkthrough video: https://youtu.be/4Km-C6J5Qmc

Fig. 1.11 Lo-Fi App Design Demonstration video


Figma Wireframe:

                                                                Fig. 1.12 Lo-Fi App Design 


                                                          Fig. 1.12 Lo-Fi App Design Prototype

View the ideation on Canva [HERE]





Feedback 

Week 11

Good!

Week 12

1) Reduce the number of steps that are not needed.
2) Adjust the app style to be more professional and formal, and modify the mascot owl design to make it more business-oriented.
3) Focus on the homepage.
4) Add a progress-sharing function, export reports to the boss, provide content at different learning levels, provide professional learning paths such as business communication, meeting skills, etc., and provide analysis functions.
5) Add a progress chart for learning.

Week 13

Integrate all frames; the overall look is very neat, and it is easy to adjust the spacing and intervals between elements, making sure that the text and elements are the same size. The colors look coordinated, with blue as the main color. The font is a bit small, but a size of 16 is best. Simplify the design adjustment process and maintain a unified design style.


Reflection 

Through this project, I gradually learned how to draw inspiration from existing apps to make my own designs more concise and easy to use. With only a few weeks left for the prototype, I had to manage my time efficiently and iterate quickly.

I needed to rethink the overall design of my app because I was redesigning a commercial version about learning languages, which had a certain professionalism, unlike the original children's language learning app. When linking the prototype screens in Figma, I found that the interaction logic was a bit confusing—especially when different results appeared depending on the user's clicks. Some screens were repeated but slightly modified, and some were still fixed. I had to make sure that all versions were accurate. This made the user experience more complex and more difficult to arrange clearly. And I also added content about team analysis and ways to exchange experiences and practice speaking in the community. This made me think for a long time, and I had to design the same style as the original Duolingo.

In this process, I found that designing an app is not only about visual beauty but also about how users navigate it. Although it was a challenging experience, I am proud of everything I learned and created. I gained a deeper understanding of user-centered design and interaction processes, which will definitely inform how I design learning platforms in the future.




Comments

Popular Posts