Application Design I Project 1 : Mobile Application Proposal

Application Design I Project 1: Mobile Application Proposal

Zhang Wan Ru 0368214

21/04/2025—14/05/2025 (Week 1-Week 4)

Application Design I / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media / Taylors University


TABLE OF CONTENTS


2. Lecture

3. Project



Instructions




Lecture

Week 1/Introduction to Mobile Application Design

This is the first week. Mr. Zeon gave us a brief introduction to our MIB this semester and explained the importance of mobile application design, which is to create a simple, intuitive, and multi-device interface with a user-centric approach. Through user research, prototype testing, and continuous optimization, design not only improves user experience but also enhances application performance, user satisfaction, and market competitiveness. We need to find three apps to conduct a simple analysis.

Fig. 1.1 Introduction (23.04.2025-week 1)

Week 2/The Art of User-Centered design (UCD)
Week 2 introduced the concept of user-centered design (UCD), which emphasizes that the entire process from product conception to development should always focus on user needs. It distinguishes the roles of user experience design (UX) and user interface design (UI): UX focuses on the usage process and user experience, while UI is responsible for the interface vision and interactive performance. The UCD design process includes user research, experience definition, prototype design, usability testing, and development implementation, with the aim of improving user satisfaction, reducing errors and costs, and enhancing brand trust.

Fig. 1.2 The Art of User-Centered design (UCD) (30.04.2025-Week 2)

Week 3 / Usability 
"Usability" is at the core of mobile application design, pointing out that an excellent product should be efficient, easy to learn, and have a low error rate, allowing users to complete tasks smoothly.
Five usability principles (core)
  • Consistency: The interface style, navigation structure, fonts, and brand elements are kept consistent to improve learnability and user trust.
  • Simplicity: Reduce the operation steps and use clear icons and familiar terms so that users can get started without instructions.
  • Visibility: Clearly display key information and operation items, and use visual hierarchy, button changes, etc. to guide user attention.
  • Feedback: Give clear feedback (such as text prompts, color changes, sound effects, and vibrations) after the user operates to enhance interactive understanding and confidence.
  • Error Prevention: Reduce the probability of user errors and improve operation accuracy through input verification, confirmation steps, clear prompts, etc.
Fig. 1.3 Usability (06.05.2025-Week 3)


Week 4: Presentation (14.05.2025-Week 4)
Start the presentation of our final proposal in the class.



Project 1: Mobile Application Proposal

Requirements:

  • This proposal outlines a mobile app redesign project that aims to improve the user experience and interface of an existing app, which currently has severe usability challenges. To better understand the problem, we will conduct user interviews, competitor analysis, and market research. The redesigned app will have a more intuitive interface. This document contains an overview of the main features of the redesigned app, a detailed user flow diagram, and preliminary research results. It is intended to evaluate whether this redesign concept is suitable for further development and implementation.

Company selection criteria:

  • Avoid choosing well-known brands that you frequently use, such as GRAB, Starbucks, GSC, TGV, etc.
  • Ensure the app has over 100 reviews on the Play Store.
  • The app must contain more than 10 different pages.

    Week 1:
    This week's assignment is to research various apps. Please select three company apps that we think would benefit from improved design. The goal is to identify all existing flaws and come up with potential solutions, analyze their design issues, and make a PPT of our findings for feedback in the second week.

    Fig. 1.1 Apps I uses (23.04.2025-week 1)

    After Mr. Zeon finished talking about this task, I started looking through the various apps on my phone. Some of the popular apps I usually use, such as Xiaohongshu, Douyin, Weibo, etc., are very easy to use and easy to get started. However, there are a few apps that I don’t use often on my phone. They are not easy to use for me and can even be said to be "difficult to use."

    The first one is Duolingo, which is an educational language-learning app. I downloaded and used it when I first started learning IELTS. The overall style of this app is cartoon-style, the interface design is very cute, and it is very interactive. It should be very friendly to novices. But when I actually used it, I found several problems: First, it has a lot of ads, which often interrupt the rhythm of learning; second, although it is visually attractive, the function settings seem a bit "too childish," and sometimes I find it difficult to locate some advanced content or specific functions. But it has a high rating
    The second is ZARA's shopping app. I occasionally use it to browse clothes, but its interface makes me feel not very comfortable. Many functions are hidden deep, such as return instructions, contacting customer service, etc. I often have to click through several layers of menus to find them, and there is no obvious "online customer service" entrance, so I can't get help in time when I encounter problems or have questions.

    The last one is Hotlink, which is a Malaysian telecommunications app. I use it mainly to recharge phone cards or check call fee information. But the problem is that a lot of content in the app is written in Malay, and I have never learned this language, so it is very difficult to operate every time. Especially when recharging, I often don't understand the meaning of the options, for fear of choosing the wrong package. In addition, this app is almost impossible to load in places with poor signals, and the loading speed is very slow, which adds a lot of difficulties to use.

    APP Choseon:
    Duolingo
    ZARA
    Hotlink

    Week 2:

    I started using Duolingo for a few days and also asked my friends about their experience with Duolingo. I integrated their experience with mine and corrected and improved the previous PPT. Then I added the nickname of the app page to each page of the CURRENT APP DESIGN page.


    Fig. 1.2 Screenshot for Weakness (30.04.2025-Week 2)

    Fig. 1.3 Duolingo App (30.04.2025-Week 2)

    Fig. 1.4  ZARA App (30.04.2025-Week 2)

    Fig. 1.5 Hotlink App  (30.04.2025-Week 2)


    Here is the link to Canvas.

    Fig. 1.6  Initial Proposal Draft (30.04.2025-Week 2)

    Week 3:

    At first, I chose ZARA, a shopping app, as the research object, but in the actual analysis process, I found that I was not familiar with this app and used it less frequently. In order to experience the user interface and functional flow more deeply, I decided to change the research object and chose Duolingo, which I often use. Duolingo is an educational language-learning app, mainly used for learning English and other foreign languages.

    Although I have not used it continuously for a long time before, I have recently experienced the process of continuous use for a period of time through this project and have a deeper understanding of its functions and user experience.

    I also shared with Zeon my unfamiliarity with ZARA and the idea of ​​changing the app. He expressed his understanding and suggested that I continue to use familiar apps as the research object. At the same time, he reminded me that a complete project report will be conducted next week (the fourth week), so I need to complete the production of the PPT as soon as possible to ensure that the project progress is not behind.

    In order to confirm the weaknesses of Duolingo, I need to find three apps for comparison. These three are "Bai Ci Zhan," recommended by IELTS teachers, and two other more distinctive apps: "Shan Bei" and "Liulishuo." By comparing and analyzing the features and designs of these competitors, I was able to better understand the strengths and weaknesses of Duolingo in terms of user experience.

    Fig. 1.7 Screenshot For App Analysis  (06.05.2025-Week 3)

    Week 4:
    Presentation

    After the speech, Mr. Zeon suggested that I add the ratings to make the data more intuitive.
    For the three apps to be compared, don’t just introduce them in general terms. Compare them with Duolingo, which you are researching, and compare Duolingo in terms of user experience and user design.
    Fig. 1.8 Screenshot For Competitive Analysis liulishuo (14.05.2025-Week 4)

    Fig. 1.9 Screenshot For Competitive Analysis Shanbay (14.05.2025-Week 4)

    Fig. 1.10 Screenshot For Competitive Analysis Baicizhan (14.05.2025-Week 4)

    「 HERE 」 is a visit to the final proposal on Canva.







    Feedback 

    Week 2:

    1) Need to add the nickname of each page of the current application design.
    2) Write more details about the weaknesses of Duolingo.
    3) Because my phone uses Chinese, my ratings and reviews are in Chinese, which I need to translate into English, as well as every page of the app.

    Week 3:

    1) When analyzing the app, we found that the Zara app was too superficial, so we switched to Duolingo, which is used frequently.
    2) Mr. Zeon suggested that I change the app. In addition, he also reminded me that the full presentation would be conducted next week (week 4), so I needed to complete the production of the PPT in time and catch up with the reporting progress.


    Week 4:

    1)Mr. Zeon suggested that I add the ratings to make the data more intuitive. For the three apps to be compared, don’t just introduce them in general terms. Compare them with Duolingo, which you are researching




    Reflection 

    In this project, I chose ZARA as the research object at the beginning, but I found that I was not familiar with this APP during the actual operation, which led to a lack of sufficient user perspective in the analysis. This made me realize that it is a very critical step to fully use and understand the APP in the early stage of the project, and the research direction cannot be determined only by impression or interest. Later, I decisively changed the research object to Duolingo, which I often use. Although this decision was somewhat temporary, it did allow me to dig deeper into the problems in the user experience and be more confident in doing subsequent analysis and design.

    During the process, I also searched for information online and tried to understand other English-learning apps on the market, such as 100 Words, Shanbay, and Liulishuo, as references and comparisons, which gave me a more comprehensive understanding of user experience design in this field.

    However, I did not do well enough in project time management. Due to the change of APP in the middle and the unclear direction of the preliminary research, the progress of the PPT was somewhat delayed. Teacher Zeon reminded me that the reporting time was approaching, and I realized that I needed to speed up the pace and arrange the work of each stage reasonably. This experience taught me that even if there are adjustments in the middle, we must ensure that the overall rhythm is not disrupted, especially when time is tight, and we must plan and execute in advance.








    Comments

    Popular Posts