Design Principles Task 4- Final Compilation & Reflection
Design Principles Task 4-Final Compilation & Reflection
Zhang Wan Ru 0368214
03/02/2025—23/03/2025 (Week 1-Week 7)
Design Principles / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media / Taylor's University
Task 4- Final Compilation
Task
• What have I learned in this module?
During the whole module, I have a deeper understanding of design principles. Gestalt theory made me realize how people automatically organize visual elements into a whole, while contrast and emphasis helped me understand how to highlight the key points and guide the audience's attention through color, size, and shape. At the same time, balance and harmony made me realize that a good design must not only have visual impact but also maintain overall stability and coherence. This also allowed me to learn more basic theoretical knowledge of design principles. In addition, I also learned that excellent design is not just visually beautiful, but through scientific and reasonable principles, it makes information easier to read, the experience smoother, and the emotional communication more accurate. I also hope that I can better apply these principles in future practice to make my design more professional and influential. This also allowed me to learn more basic theoretical knowledge of design principles, which is a more solid foundation for my future design.
• What did I enjoy the most?
The process I like and enjoy the most is the poster design process of Task 3. I repeatedly adjusted the brightness, contrast, and saturation in Adobe Photoshop and carefully considered the angle of each Petronas Tower, the level of light and shadow, and whether it would block Batman's visual focus. And the size and angle of other characters. This process of continuous optimization and fine-tuning is the part I enjoy the most. This process not only tests my observation and patience but also gives me the freedom to make creative adjustments. I can personally decide which elements should be more prominent and which areas need to be adjusted to achieve the best visual effect. With each adjustment, the poster will become closer to your ideal state, and this sense of accomplishment from the first draft to the final work, every decision makes my design more layered and narrative. This process of creation and improvement not only improves my design ability but also brings an unparalleled sense of accomplishment and fun.
• What did I not enjoy the most?
My least favorite part was the original design of the Dark Knight poster. Because the original poster was already very mature, my initial changes were just to adjust the light and dark contrast, color saturation, and slightly modify the font of the movie name. However, when Mr. Shamsul pointed out that my sketches were not much different from the original, I realized that I was too dependent on the original design and lacked bold and innovative thinking. Later, I asked a friend for advice, and she suggested that I should boldly break through the original design and not limit myself to small changes. This made me start to rethink and look for inspiration by browsing more excellent movie posters. When I saw the movie poster of Inception, my ideas really burst out. This experience made me realize that in design, I need to be more open-minded, not afraid of change, and dare to try new ideas.
• What have I learned about myself through this module?
During the study of this module, I have a deeper understanding of my design ability and way of thinking. I found that I was sometimes too cautious when designing, easily influenced by the limitations of the original work, and dared not make too many changes. When I first improved the poster of "The Dark Knight," I only adjusted the brightness, contrast, and font, but the overall change was not significant. It was not until the feedback from teachers and friends that I realized that excellent design is not only about optimization but also requires innovation and breakthrough. At the same time, I also realized that I have high requirements for details. In the poster design of Task 3, I repeatedly adjusted the angle of the building, the light and shadow level, and the font position to ensure that the picture is clearly layered and does not affect the visual focus. Although this fine polishing makes me pay more attention to the quality of design, it also makes me reflect on how to find a balance between the pursuit of perfection and efficiency. Most importantly, I learned how to adapt and grow when facing design challenges. By constantly trying and absorbing inspiration, I can break through limitations and improve my creative ability.
• What has changed and what has not in my learning journey?
During my learning process, my design thinking and acceptance of creativity have changed significantly. Initially, when I was improving the poster design, I was more inclined to follow the style of the original work and did not dare to make too many changes. I thought that optimization was just fine-tuning the details. But as I learned more, I realized that real design improvement is not just adjusting the brightness, contrast, or font but bravely breaking through the original framework and creating new visual effects. This change in concept made me pay more attention to composition, symbolism, and visual impact when redesigning the poster in Task 3 and no longer limit myself to the original design. Of course, my obsession with details has never changed. From the beginning, I was used to constantly adjusting the color, contrast, and element layout to ensure the harmony of the picture. This habit of pursuing precision has been throughout my learning process. Of course, in this process, I spent a lot of time adjusting light and shadow and the position of text to achieve the most ideal visual effect. Although this has not changed, I have learned to use my time more effectively, avoid over-detailing, and gradually improve my efficiency and decision-making ability. Overall, my design thinking has become more open, and my creative ability has improved. At the same time, I still maintain a high standard for details. This balance makes me more confident and gives me direction in the design process.
• What are my aspirations?
My wish is to continuously improve my design skills and create more influential and unique works. I want to not only master various design tools and techniques but also have a deep understanding of the theory behind design. I hope I can express my design ideas more confidently, no longer limited to safe choices, but bravely try new ideas and break through traditional models. I want to learn more about design so that I can be more proficient in learning UI/UX. In addition, I will also practice my English-speaking skills more. When communicating with teachers, my English expression skills are poor, so I will practice more. I hope I can speak English as fluently as I speak Chinese.




Comments
Post a Comment