Design Principles Task 3 - Development & Design
Zhang Wan Ru /0368214
10/03/2025——23/03/2025 (Week6-Week7)
Design Principles / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media / Taylors
University
Task 3 - Development & Design
Lecture
Task3
-Select one of the 3 ideas we proposed in Task 2.
-Develop it through color exploration, composition,
typeface, positioning, etc., with design principles in mind.
- Finalize our idea.
-Create our final design in A4 size, JPEG format, in at least 300 dpi pixel size. Label the design as <Your Name_Title of
Design_Task3>.
-Write a 200-word rationale explaining/defending i) the
decisions made in our design, ii) the meaning/purpose of the
design, and iii) the design principles that are employed to create
the design.
Reference
Fig 1.1 Reference, Week 5 (3/3/2025)
After receiving feedback from Mr. Shamsul, I decided to choose
Idea 5 (Sketch 5) for further development and digitization.
Fig 1.2 Sketch, Week 5 (3/3/2025)
I started looking for some background sources for movie poster
designs and looking for some background ideas. So I looked on
Pinterest for some inspiration.
Fig. 1.3 Inspiration, Week 6 (11/3/2025)
Then I started using the Rectango brush in Procreate to paint the
background I was going to use. I used a little black element in the
middle and then used the soft form of my hand to make a smudge.
Fig 1.4 Background, Week 6 (11/3/2025)
Then I started to adjust the background of my painting using Adobe Photoshop. I adjusted the brightness and contrast from the adjustments in image.
Fig 1.5 Progress in Photoshop, Week 6 (11/3/2025)
Then I added some bat patterns to the background and used the Smudge tool to soften the surrounding areas with the background to make it more connected. Fig 1.6 Progress in Photoshop, Week 6 (11/3/2025)
Because there are many skyscrapers in my draft, I found a lot of skyscrapers on the Internet, but I felt that they did not meet my ideal skyscrapers. Then I remembered the representative Petronas Towers in Malaysia, so I looked for pictures of the Petronas Towers on the Internet and cut out the pictures.
Fig 1.7 Petronas Towers, Week 6 (11/3/2025)
Then I arranged the Petronas Towers in different styles and adjusted them at different angles. However, I think the brightness of these Petronas Towers should be adjusted to form a contrast, which makes it look more layered.
Fig. 1.8 Progress in Photoshop, Week 6 (11/3/2025)
Then I searched the website for the main characters in The Dark Knight, created the scenes of confrontation in the movie, and used different angles to create the boundary between justice and evil and magnified the posture of the winner.
Fig 1.9 Progress in Photoshop, Week 6 (11/3/2025)
I started to add some specific movie text information online. These include the movie name, promotional slogan, and release date; the cast (placed at the top); the main production team information I placed at the bottom; and the nicknames of important information were doubled. I chose a relatively red color for the movie name, and the bat symbolized the flame of the original design.Fig. 1.10 Progress in Photoshop, Week 6 (11/3/2025)
According to the teacher's advice, I changed the Batman logo in the middle to blend it with the background instead of a specific logo and reduced the saturation of the overall background to create a stronger contrast.
Fig. 1.11 Progress in Photoshop, Week 7 (17/3/2025)
Final Ideas:
Fig 1.11< ZHANG WAN RU_CHAOTIC WORLD_TASK 3 > JPEG, Week 6 (11/3/2025)
Design Principle:-Hierarchy
The main visual elements (main characters) are distributed in different spatial positions and levels. I appropriately combine the size and front-to-back relationship of different characters to make the picture present a greater sense of depth, which will better attract the audience's attention.
-BalanceBatman is in the center, and other villains are around him, forming a balanced visual layout, which will prevent the picture from looking messy.
-Symbolism
The burning bat logo in the background, the Joker’s playing cards, and the iconic Two-Face’s burned face are all references to key symbolic elements in the film. I wanted to convey the film’s dark style and theme more directly through these visual symbols.
- Typography & Layout
The movie title "THE DARK KNIGHT" uses eye-catching capital letters, which contrast with the background to enhance readability. The names of the actors are arranged at the top so that the audience can quickly identify the main cast, and the production team information is neatly placed at the bottom without interfering with the main visual.
-Contrast
You used strong contrasts between light and dark, such as the dark background and the brightness of the Petronas Towers standing out in the foreground, which enhanced the visual impact and made the main characters stand out more.
Rationale:
In redesigning this poster, I made a lot of changes to the original picture. I put many high-rise buildings in different directions and with different brightness instead of a single high-rise building in order to increase the tense atmosphere of the picture and let the audience feel the chaotic situation in Gotham City. The original poster design only has the winner (Batman), and I distributed the villains (Joker, Two-Face) and main characters around to better show the conflict between them.
This poster not only wants to convey the tense atmosphere of "The Dark Knight" but also wants to point out the theme of the movie and also symbolizes the chaos and corruption of Gotham City. The burning red bats in the background also symbolize the interweaving of hope and destruction, the image of the Joker and the playing cards imply his subversion of order, and the existence of Two-Face represents the contradiction between justice and revenge.
Feedback
Week 6
-In the original poster draft, Mr. Shamsul told me that a poster should not only show the winner, but we can also show the villain to highlight the theme of the movie so that the audience can see the good guys and the bad guys, justice and evil, at a glance.
Week 7
- The Batman logo in the middle is not a specific symbol. It needs to be changed to blend with the background, reduce the saturation of the overall background, and create a stronger contrast.
In the process of completing Task 3, I found that although it was simpler than Task 2, it still involved many details that required in-depth thinking and adjustment. Especially when using Adobe Photoshop for post-production adjustments, I realized that fine-tuning of brightness, contrast, and saturation has a great impact on the overall atmosphere. If adjusted improperly, it may cause visual conflicts with characters or background elements, making the subject less prominent. Therefore, when dealing with the brightness of the Petronas Towers, I carefully compared different light and shadow effects to ensure that they can create a strong sense of space and oppression without being too dominant and affecting Batman's dominance. At the same time, I adjusted the angle of the building to make it look shaky against the chaotic background of Gotham City to enhance the drama of the film.
In terms of text design, I initially tried to place the movie title and slogan in the center but soon found that this would destroy the layering of the picture. In the end, I chose to place the movie title and slogan at the top and bottom, respectively, making the visual flow more natural while enhancing the overall sense of balance. I used the most common fonts for the movie title and slogan. This made me realize that fonts are not just decorations but an important means of expressing the atmosphere of a movie. By comparing different font styles, I further understood how to strengthen the theme of a movie through text design.
Through this design process, I deeply realized that a successful poster is not just a combination of visual elements but also a way of telling a story. The processing of every detail should help to strengthen the theme and atmosphere of the movie, not just for aesthetics. Although the final work basically met my expectations, there are still many areas that can be optimized. In future designs, I will pay more attention to the clarity of the visual hierarchy, the balance of elements, and how to convey the emotions of the story more efficiently.
Comments
Post a Comment