Information Design | Project 1 & 2

 Information Design | Project 1 & 2


Zhang Wan Ru 0368214

03/11/2025—26/10/2025 (Week 7-Week 10)

Information Design  / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media / Taylor's University


TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. Instructions

2. Lecture

3. Project

4. Feedback

5. Reflection


Instructions




Lecture

Week 7: Typography in Information Design
Fig. 1.1 Week 7 lecture (03.11.2025 - Week 7)
Infographics are made of many parts that fit together to create a unified and balanced design that informs and hopefully impacts the viewer. 
The visual elements, icons, charts, and illustrations chosen for an infographic are all crucial.

Week 8: No Lecture.

Week 9: Infographics Storyboard
Fig. 1.2 Week 9  lecture (17.11.2025 - Week 9)

Week 10: No Lecture


Project 1
REQUIREMENT:
Your main intention is to analyze the “delivery mechanisms” that affect the outcomes of your infographics. Though content is important, the aim of this presentation is to look at what makes an infographic presentation work or not work. This includes content but only as one of the many components of an infographic:

PART 1: Infographic poster 

INSTRUCTION:
1. Choose 1 infographic poster design (that is not well designed) from the Internet.
2. Redesign the poster into A4 size. Sketch the idea and process (5 marks).
3. Redesign and simplify the poster based on visual hierarchy & typography (5 Marks)
4. Simplify the poster's design based on color, shape & pattern (5 marks).
5. Attach your final poster on E-Portfolio with explanation and reflective writing (5 marks)

Fig. 1.1 Redesigning Infographic (03/11/2025, Week 7)

Redesign Analysis: 
The original poster contained a lot of information, but it looked cluttered overall, with insufficient visual focus. Items and decomposition times were scattered across the page without a clear categorization structure, making it difficult for readers to quickly grasp the key points and make comparisons. Too many colors were used, with beach, waves, objects, and text mixed together, creating visual clutter and obscuring the information focus. The font hierarchy was also unclear; the titles, subtitles, and explanatory texts were not differentiated, and important information was not highlighted. Although the original poster used the "Time" principle of LATCH, the presentation was not intuitive and did not incorporate other methods to help readers quickly understand the information. To improve these issues, in the redesign, I reorganized the information by location, time, category, and hierarchy, categorizing waste by material and decomposition time, and using visual size and location to emphasize the most hazardous waste. At the same time, I adopted flat icons, a simple color scheme, and a clear vertical reading flow to reduce visual clutter and strengthen the information structure. In this way, the posters are not only easier to read but also more suitable for educational and popular science purposes, allowing readers to quickly understand which types of trash are the most dangerous, stay for the longest time, and have the greatest impact on the environment.

Sketch:
Fig. 1.12 Sketch (11/11/2025, Week 8)

The layout uses a vertical orientation, clearly divided into three areas: a top heading area, a middle content display area, and a bottom call to action.
The central "ocean" element dominates the poster, serving as the visual focal point, surrounded by other waste items and their decomposition times. This encircling layout naturally guides the viewer's eye towards the center before expanding outwards.

Redesign:
Fig. 1.13  Before Project (11/11/2025, Week 8)

Mr. Fauzi's advice to me was to simplify the color scheme and layout while maintaining visual appeal, ensuring text readability and smooth information flow, and achieving a balance between UI aesthetics and UX usability.

Final Project:
Digital Link:

Fig. 1.14 Final Project (18/11/2025, Week 9)

PART 2: Minimal animated infographic (20%)
INSTRUCTION:
1. Animate your infographic poster into one static loop animation page
2. Loop duration in between 15 and 30 second
3. Size: 1080 x 1920 px (Vertical Video) upload to your own Youtube channel

At first, I didn't have any particular ideas. My simplest idea was just to make the fish and seagulls move, but when I made it, it was noticeably simple and simplistic.
Fig. 1.15 First Project (18/11/2025, Week 9)

Then, based on Mr. Fauzi's advice, I began refining the design to maintain visual appeal. He encouraged me to add subtle animation effects to each small image—such as a slight left-right sway—to make the visuals more dynamic without overwhelming the viewer. I also realized that the video format I was using was much longer than the poster size, so I had to rethink how to present the content in a vertical layout.
Since my theme was marine debris pollution, I did some further research. All the items on the poster were arranged according to their decomposition time, so I redesigned the central section to form a cyclical ♻️ shape. This visual cycle not only aligns with the theme of environmental cycles but also highlights the long time these substances remain in the ocean.

My Work:

However, this image needs to stay in the same position and repeat continuously.

Before Project:
Fig. 1.16 Project (24/11/2025, Week 10)
To keep it circulating.
Final Project:
Fig. 1.17 FInal Project, GIF (24/11/2025, Week 10)

Static Loop Animation:
Fig. 1.18 FInal Project, Video (24/11/2025, Week 10)


Feedback 

Week 7: 
We need to find a source containing the principle of LATCH and determine the topic content.

Week 8:
No Feedback

Week 9:
The current design, while pursuing the aesthetic appeal of sunset colors, has compromised text readability. It is recommended to simplify the color scheme, maintain contrast between text and background, and optimize the layout. Consider using a jagged edge to fill negative space and taking into account users' clockwise reading habits to improve information flow. In terms of design principles, a balance should be maintained between UI aesthetics and UX usability. Unnecessary numerical guidance should be removed to keep the interface intuitive and easy to understand. In practice, the background can be temporarily hidden to focus on evaluating text readability, and before-and-after comparisons can be created to verify the improvement. Overall, while maintaining visual appeal, priority should be given to user reading experience and information comprehensibility.

Week 10:
When the size of the video changes, the animation needs to continue looping, but its position should remain unchanged.


Reflection 

Through this project, I learned how to recognize and apply the LATCH principle in infographic poster design, and I managed to redesign my poster to make it more visually appealing and easier to understand. At the beginning, I often struggled with choosing which posters to analyze or redesign, and I kept missing one or two LATCH elements without realizing it. Then, by coincidence, I came across an infographic about ocean debris that fit my theme perfectly. At that time, I had almost no ideas, so I spent a lot of time looking through different posters related to ocean pollution to get inspired. That process made me realize how important it is to decide on one strong central focus before starting the layout.

I also learned a lot about using color effectively—like which colors should stand out, which ones should stay in the background, and how to use supporting colors to create balance. These choices helped me build a more harmonious and visually organized design. Even though the task felt a bit overwhelming at first, studying existing posters and seeing how other designers presented information really helped me move forward more confidently.

After finishing my first draft, I started to understand what it really takes to create an infographic that communicates clearly. By the second attempt, I finally completed a version that I felt proud of. This project was fun, challenging, and definitely meaningful for my learning. I also experimented with simple animations in Canva by creating a looping sequence that highlights different parts of the infographic. This helped guide the viewer’s attention and made the overall presentation feel smoother and more dynamic.







Comments

Popular Posts