Games Development Task 1 - Game Design Document

Games Development  Task 1 - Game Design Document 


Zhang Wan Ru 0368214

22/09/2025—21/10/2025 (Week 1-Week 5)

Game Development / DST 61104

Bachelor of Design in Creative Media / Taylor's University


TABLE OF CONTENTS






Instructions






Lecture

Week 1: Briefing
This week, we introduced the fundamentals of game development. We began by establishing class culture and module objectives, then explored the history and genres of video games, development processes, and methodologies such as waterfall and agile development. We also learned about essential tools like Godot, Blender, and other open-source software, and recognized the role of the internet and artificial intelligence as team collaborators. Finally, we began exploring how to create our own games within limited constraints, find inspiration, and identify core mechanics.

Week 2: 
This week, Mr. Ronald picked some of us to present our game ideas. After that, he gave a simple demonstration on how to use Blender and Godot.





Task 1

Week 1: Individual Game Ideation

Inspiration

This game is inspired by the classic cooperative puzzle game "Forest Fire and Ice." I was inspired by its dual-character adventure and puzzle-solving mechanics, but I adapted it in my design: simplifying the dual-character gameplay to a single character and giving it a new setting—Twinkle Twinkle. With this change, I hope to reduce the control complexity and allow players to experience the puzzle-solving fun in a more relaxed way, while maintaining the fairytale-like adventure atmosphere.

During my game design exercise, I conceived a lightweight, fairytale-style puzzle game called "Twinkle Twinkle's Fantasy Adventure."

The protagonist is Twinkle Twinkle, a little traveler from the stars. Carrying a small bag, she journeys into a mysterious forest, searching for magical star stones scattered throughout. The forest appears tranquil, but hidden dangers lie hidden: a swallowing green swamp, erupting lava, and hidden traps. Twinkle Twinkle must rely on agility and clever judgment, utilizing environmental clues to collect the star stones and reach the exit.

The gameplay of this mini-game is very simple: players navigate levels and solve puzzles, deftly avoiding traps and cleverly deciphering them. As the levels progress, the difficulty increases, requiring players to react and think quickly to successfully complete the adventure.

I chose a simple 2D cartoon style for this game, hoping to create a fairytale-like adventure experience through fresh graphics and a lighthearted atmosphere. While this is just a small concept design, it combines action and puzzle-solving, conveying a spirit of active exploration and courageous progress.

Twinkle Twinkle's Fantasy Adventure is more than just a mini-game; it's a fairytale journey.

Fig. 2.1 Individual Game Ideation (29/09/2025, Week 1)

Week 2: 3D Model

This is my first time using Blender. To be honest, it was quite difficult for me because I have a poor sense of direction, and I can't tell the difference between the x, y, and z axes. So I searched a lot of introductory videos to get a basic understanding. I learned about the interface and specific usage of Blender from a YouTube blogger. In the process of understanding, I first constructed a simple flower of environment objects.
YouTube blogger Link: https://www.youtube.com/@kurtips
  • Environment object

Fig. 2.2 Environment object (06/10/2025, Week 2)

This is like a trampoline in real life. When the protagonist jumps to the center, he can jump up and jump on the plane. I also gave it color.

Fig. 2.3 Environment object (06/10/2025, Week 2)
  • Main game character
My main character is Twinkle Twinkle, my favorite character from Pop Mart. I want to design it into my game.
Fig. 2.4 Main game character (06/10/2025, Week 2)

I started building this twinkle twinkle. I tried to make it as cute as possible and make it my own twinkle twinkle.

Fig. 2.4 Main game character (06/10/2025, Week 2)

Then I started to give it color according to its color, and I changed the corners of its head into flower forms.
Fig. 2.5 Main game character (06/10/2025, Week 2)


Week 3: Game Design Document

In week three, we divided into groups based on the lollipops Ronald had given us. My group had six people, and we chose grape-flavored lollipops. At the end, there were only two grape-flavored candies left. We began playing games, choosing two to play. Since the games were similar, we chose a horror level-based game and a casual game.

Our two games are called The Vanishing Canvas and Late Again! We designed our games using the same components as the examples provided by Mr. Ronald. We divided each game into 18 sections. Each game was assigned three components.
Chose Health & Checkpoints, Items, Music, Sound, and Interface for the first game and Introduction, Story, Achievement, and Leaderboards for the second game.

Fig. 2.5 Main game character (13/10/2025, Week 3)




Feedback 

Week 3:
  • The game has too much verbal explanation, lacking in pictures.
  • Draw some pictures explaining the main scenes.


Reflection 








Comments

Popular Posts