Experiential Design Task 2 : Experience Design Project Proposal

 

Experiential Design Task 2 : Experience Design Project Proposal

Zhang Wan Ru / 0368214

19/05/2025—03/06/2025 (Week 5-Week 7)

Experiential Design/Bachelor of Design in Creative Media/Taylor's University


TABLE OF CONTENTS





Instructions




Lecture

Week 5: NO Class

Week 6: Online
In class, the teacher asked us to continue with what he had explained last time: putting in the cube.

Fig.  1.1 Cube (26/05/2025, Week 6)
Then we start embedding this video below.
The video link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-InDSwJMa9ymoZBhj79S4CmfXI3c2_VD/view

First, add a plane in the 3D object and rename it Video Plane.


Fig. 1.2 Add the Video (26/05/2025, Week 6)
Then turn off Track Device Pose, because it tracks information on the position and orientation of the device in the real world.
Fig. 1.3 Track Device Pose (26/05/2025, Week 6)

Exhibition:
Fig. 1.4 Outcome (26/05/2025, Week 6)

Then I started adding buttons to the canvas.

Fig. 1.5 Canvas (26/05/2025, Week 6)

Fig. 1.6 Visual (26/05/2025, Week 6)

Then I started adjusting my canvas following Mr. Razif's tutorial.I feel it's becoming more and more interesting.
Fig. 1.7 Visual (26/05/2025, Week 6)







Task

Instructions: 
  • Develop a detailed proposal for your AR app, focusing on user experience enhancements, functionality, and unique value.
  • Proposal Components: Project Overview. 
  • Define the problem (inconvenience of price tags and fitting rooms) and project goals (convenience, personalized sizing). 
  • Research: Review similar AR solutions and identify gaps. 
  • Define the target audience and personas and map the user journey.
  • Solution Details: Describe key features. 
  • Visuals: Include sketches and high-fidelity mockups to show the user flow and AR features. 
  • Creative Directions: Specify theme, color palette, typography, and any icons or mood board. 
Submission Requirements:
  • PDF of Proposal Document: A professional, complete proposal. 
  • Video Presentation: Briefly present your project idea, flow, and expected impact.
  • Reflective E-Portfolio Post: Summarize your Task 2 progress and insights. 
3 Ideas

I came up with 3 ideas and recorded them in a Google Doc, each with a visual image.
I decided to choose an AR Message Book in Nature as my graduation project. I believe this idea has great potential and room for further development.

Fig. 2.1 Ideas Google Docs (26/05/2025, Week 6)
Ideas:

Tree Hole Hearing-AR Message Book in Nature.


Working process:

Mr. Razif provided us with the structure of the proposal at TIMES, which I can refer to. After that, I will set the goals of the project. Here are the goals of my project:
By making emotional expression easy, private, and healing and transforming the natural space into a "listener" to establish an emotional connection between people and nature, helping users relieve their troubles.
After AR scanning, a "voice" is triggered - a "response" of words, sounds, and even trees—allowing users to feel the resonance and comfort of nature.
The next step is research. The first thing I did was to create user portraits. I created 3 user personas using Canva. They have different personalities and face different challenges and goals. Here are the user personas I created.

Targeted Audience

1. Urban Youth & Students
Young people who often feel lonely and stressed but lack people to talk to, especially college students, are active on campus and have obvious mood swings. They are potential high-interaction users. They are highly receptive to new technologies (such as AR) and like creative ways of expression.

2. Emotionally Sensitive Individuals
People who have a strong desire to express themselves but prefer to express themselves privately, such as those who write diaries or leave voice messages. People who are facing emotional distress, anxiety, or depression and seek non-invasive emotional outlets.

3. Creative Social Users
Users who like to create small surprises for friends or leave messages to check in, young people who are keen on socializing but don’t like direct communication, and like to leave “digital traces” (leaving secret words under the tree).


Fig. 2.2 User Personas (27/05/2025, Week 6)


Fig. 2.3 User Personas (27/05/2025, Week 6)

Fig. 2.4 User Personas (27/05/2025, Week 6)

User journey map  


Then, I created a user journey map based on my ideas. I wanted to use the knowledge I learned in class to create a user journey map. I used Miro to create my user journey map, and the result is as follows.

Fig. 2.5 User Journey Map (27/05/2025, Week 6)

After creating the user journey map and solving the existing problems, we have to come up with solutions. I have put the solutions below. Here are the solutions proposed for the problems in the user journey map.

Fig. 2.6 User Journey Map (27/05/2025, Week 6)

Color Palette

This set of colors presents a natural, soft, and calm atmosphere as a whole and is suitable for design scenarios that emphasize emotional connection, inner exploration, or quiet experience, such as meditation applications, emotion recording tools, or healing brand interfaces. The color tone is low in saturation, conveying a sense of stability, closeness, and warmth, which can arouse the user's trust and relaxation. Among them, dark green can be used as the main color or emphasis to bring a sense of stability; light green and olive are suitable as auxiliary colors to create an intimate atmosphere; and beige is suitable for backgrounds to provide a good visual balance. This set of colors has both a natural texture and a modern and simple style, suitable for people who focus on humanistic care and nature.


Fig. 2.7 Color Palette (27/05/2025, Week 6)


Typography:

Jaldi is a simple and modern sans serif font with high readability, suitable for creating a gentle, clear, and humanistic interface design style.
Fig. 2.9 Jaldi Font (27/05/2025, Week 6)

Iconography

The link: https://www.streamlinehq.com/icons/flex-remix

Flex is all about curves. Its smooth, curvilinear design adds fluidity and dynamism while maintaining a modern feel. The Remix style is perfect for designs that require a unique look without compromising the overall aesthetic.
Fig. 2.10 Flex Remix (27/05/2025, Week 6)

After that, I opened Figma and designed a mockup there. I created a few pages for this mockup, but it’s not the final product, just a basic mockup that I’ll add some things to later.


Fig. 2.11 Figma Prototype (27/05/2025, Week 6)


Final Result:

Project Proposal Presentation

Video presentation 

Fig. 2.12 Video Presentation (01/06/2025, Week 6)


Reflection 

Experience:

Throughout the design process, I deeply realized that emotional products not only rely on technical presentation but also require delicate humanistic insights. From user research to character portraits to prototype design, I learned how to transform abstract emotional needs into concrete interactive forms. By designing functions such as "non-social expression" and "natural response," I tried to make technology no longer cold but a bridge to understand and accompany people. This project also made me familiar with how to design a basic application process of AR, laying the foundation for mature immersive interactive design.

Observations:

Different users show different differences when expressing emotions. Some people are used to telling their stories in words, as if they are telling themselves a letter, but some people prefer to use colors, stickers, or even silence itself to express their inner feelings. This diversity of expression reminds me that the communication of emotions does not necessarily rely on language. It can be visual, auditory, or even implicit in spatial interaction. Based on this observation, I added "visual emotional collage" and "non-verbal expression" modules to the interface design, hoping to provide another safe channel for those users who "can't say but want to express." At the same time, I also began to reflect on the fact that most existing emotional applications ignore the real environment. It is often isolated, closed, and disconnected from the real environment where the user is. Therefore, I tried to combine "emotional stickers" with AR technology to add expression behavior to the real environment so that nature can respond and perceive emotions. In this way, users are not only "talking" on their mobile phones but also establishing an emotional connection with a real tree and a familiar space. Compared with simple digital output, this connection has a stronger sense of companionship and is closer to our original and real emotional needs.


Findings:

I found that many young users actually have a strong desire to express themselves, but they often lack a truly "safe and undisturbed" expression space. Compared with the expression itself, they care more about the psychological state after the expression: Will it be misunderstood? Will it be paid attention to? On social networks, expression often means "public exposure," and publicity may bring comments, misunderstandings, and even emotional comparisons and interpersonal burdens. Therefore, they are more inclined to choose silence or hide their emotions in daily trivialities. More importantly, I found that many people do not really expect to get analytical responses or suggestions. They prefer to be quietly received and understood but not disturbed when they are vulnerable. This discovery prompted me to rethink the "response" mechanism in design feedback. It does not always have to be a clear and controllable dialogue; it can also be a natural resonance. Gentle visual language, soft natural sounds, and vague and metaphorical interactions can all be a kind of psychological comfort. AR just provides the possibility of space and atmosphere for this "non-clear response," making the emotional experience softer and more companionable.













Comments

Popular Posts