Design Research Dissertation

Design Research Dissertation

Zhang Wan Ru 0368214

21/04/2025—25/07/2025 (Week 1-Week 14)

Bachelor of Design in Creative Media / Taylor's University


Instructions




Week 1
In the first week, we will have an online briefing by Dr. Noorhayati Saad, Dr. Yip Jinchi, and AP Dr. Wong Chui Yin to introduce the module details, expectations, and assessment criteria. We need to watch the recorded online lecture of "Writing a Research Paper" and take notes from My Times/Microsoft Teams. My instructor is Dr. Wong Chui Yin. We introduce ourselves and our research topics and research methods from the previous semester.

Week 2
We need to start writing the introduction of the paper, which will be reviewed by Dr. Wong Chui Yin next week. All the information in the introduction can refer to the research method we completed last semester. The feedback given to me is that the objective is too long, there is too much nonsense, and the objective and question need to be swapped.

Week 3
Correct the position of the objective and question, and the adjective is too long; make it short. Watch the feedback records of the previous students, listen to Dr. Wong Chui Yin's suggestions to the students, and make corrections to your own format and content requirements. And proceed.

Week 4
Continue to correct my title and the content of my abstract, and continue to modify the content according to the requirements provided. The content of the introduction has too little literature support, and more literature needs to be added to support the significance of this paragraph. You cannot ask questions in the article.

Week 5
Modify the title content and change the impact of the study. The content of the qualitative research method requires finding references to explain who invented this method and how to use it, and the justification also requires references to explain why the qualitative research method is used and what the benefits are. Move the analysis method to a different place.

Week 6
Change the survey link to "Please refer to appendix 1 for the survey form." You need to add the number of participants collected in the survey on the pie chart. You need to write down this number. Write down the specific content of the survey questions.

Week 7
Modify the content of the conceptual framework; modify some of the content that was not analyzed in the research methodology to make the article look more complete. Make the description of the participants more detailed and describe the technical experience of the participants. Also, make the pie chart more beautiful.

Week 8
Self-Directed Learning Week

Week 9
Clarify the design theme and design the mood board based on the theme. Books should have a sense of design.

Week 10
No Consultation for Public Holiday

Week 11
I received a lot of useful feedback on the layout and design of this research report. First, in terms of font selection, it is recommended to choose a comfortable and easy-to-read font and keep it consistent throughout the article. In terms of layout, it is recommended to divide the paragraphs into two or three small paragraphs appropriately and pay attention to the spacing and indentation between paragraphs and the consistency of the chapter title format. Regarding image processing, I was reminded to avoid placing images close to the edge of the page, ensure that the image size and position are appropriate, and add an explanation of the image source. In terms of overall page design, it is necessary to check the correctness of the page number position, consider whether to use color, and maintain the consistency and coordination of the overall style. Finally, in terms of detail requirements, it is necessary to ensure that the three core issues in the research are fully presented, and the overall visual design should also take into account both beauty and readability. This feedback provides me with a clear direction for optimizing the visual presentation of the research report.


Week 12
The paper design has a good foundation in the overall framework. Simplify the paper title to ensure clarity, and carefully optimize the images, document format, and chart presentation. Ensure that the image is highly relevant to the research topic; adjust the font size and paragraph spacing, split long paragraphs into 2-3 paragraphs, add design elements, avoid monotony, use high-contrast colors to improve readability, convert data to percentage display, improve legends and axis labels, improve the visual appeal of the chart and the effect of information communication, and appropriately add design elements to avoid the layout being too monotonous. Please use it in accordance with the APA format, standardize citations and image sources, pay attention to academic rigor and document beauty, and strive to make the paper more outstanding in professionalism and visual presentation.

Week 13
During this week, in terms of research methods, the teacher emphasized the importance of clearly stating the research objectives. I should focus on one or two key questions to improve the relevance and depth of the research. At the same time, I was reminded to avoid over-reliance on external data and charts and encouraged to improve the originality of the research. In terms of writing, I was advised to use more professional academic language, ensure clear sentence structure, correct punctuation, and clearly state the purpose of the research in the text. In addition, regarding the research project itself, I was advised to distinguish between major and minor projects, focus on the unique perspective of the research, and correctly cite the literature and pay attention to the practical significance of the research. Finally, in terms of publishing and publication, the feedback pointed out that academic norms should be strictly followed, APA 7th edition format should be used correctly, and the integrity of the literature citation should be ensured.

Week 14
I need to improve my paper title to be more accurate, make it more in line with the content, clarify the research object and scope, and clearly state the specific research area, whether it is mobile phone, application software, or web. Clarify the research problem, mainly focusing on the specific challenges of accessibility, and define the research object and research purpose. The third part of Objectives needs to be corrected, and it should be related to accessibility. The content of the findings should be removed from the summary of the KREATE article content, and the conclusion should be written, and the content of future research directions should be added; it is not recommended to use other people's content in the photos, because it is not a study of a website and other people's content. It is best to use pictures drawn by yourself. Remove the final appendix; you don't need that content.



Task 1: Research Implementation—Draft Dissertation

Fig. 1.1 DRD_0368214_ZHANG WAN RU_Draft_Dissertation

Feedback


Task 2: Visual Design Publication


Fig. 2.1 Final Visual Design Publication—PDF

Fig. 2.2 Final Visual Design Publication—FlipBook


Task 3: Final Dissertation + Turnitin

Final Dissertation:

Fig. 2.3 Task 3 Final Dissertation—PDF

Turnitin

Fig. 2.4 Task 3 Turnitin Screenshot

Fig. 2.5 Task 3 Turnitin Report—PDF

Task 4: Research for Article Publication

Fig. 2.6 Final Research for Article Publication—PDF

Reflection

This was my second time doing academic research, and honestly, I felt pretty lost at the beginning. I didn’t really know how the process worked, and I often questioned whether I was doing things the right way. But step by step, with each round of feedback, I was able to make improvements that really made a difference. Even though revising took a lot of time and sometimes felt a bit frustrating, I could see my work slowly becoming clearer and more polished—which felt really rewarding. Looking back, all the effort was totally worth it.

Through this journey, I got a much better understanding of how logical thinking plays a big role in research. From figuring out how to ask the right questions to analyzing the results and writing up the conclusions, I learned how to think more critically and organize my thoughts more clearly. I also picked up a bunch of new skills—like creating surveys, analyzing user feedback, and writing formal reports—which I’m sure will come in handy for future projects.

I’m especially thankful to Ms. Wong Chui Yin for her guidance throughout the whole process. Even when I made mistakes or didn’t understand something right away, she never made me feel bad about it. She was always patient and encouraging, which really helped me stay motivated and believe in myself. Her feedback didn’t just help improve my work—it also taught me how to be more independent and objective in my thinking.

Overall, this experience was super valuable for me—both academically and personally. I managed to finish a research project I’m proud of, and I’ve gained more confidence in handling complex tasks. Most importantly, I realized that making progress often means trying things out, making mistakes, and learning from them. As long as I stay curious and keep trying, I know I’ll keep improving.









Comments

Popular Posts