Intercultural Design PROJECT 2: DATA COLLECTION
INTERCULTURAL DESIGN PROJECT 2: DATA COLLECTION
Zhang Wan Ru 0368214
24/02/2025——09/03/2025(Week 4-Week )
Intercultural Design / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media / Taylors University
PROJECT 2: DATA COLLECTION
Instructions
TASK
In Project 2, we were tasked with collecting data to support the model development process and validate the recommendations made in Project 1. This data can be obtained in a variety of ways, including observational studies, interviews with relevant stakeholders, and online research materials. In order to better complete the data collection work, we discussed in depth the specific collection methods, the type of data to be collected, and how to systematically record this data. By clarifying these key points, we aimed to ensure the comprehensiveness and accuracy of the data, thereby providing a reliable basis for product development and further optimizing the recommendations in Project 1.
Week 4:
Task 2 required us to conduct field data collection for research. We began to decide how to collect data about Chinese and Chilean culture. After understanding and discussing, we wrote down the ideas of data collection in Google Docs. We also learned about the relevant chopsticks issues by using Baidu Browser and included the research issues of Chilean culture in the research content.
After recording these ideas, we split into two main groups, one responsible for collecting data on Chilean culture and the other for Chinese culture. I was assigned to the Chilean culture group, and my team members and I had to start understanding Chilean culture from a third-party perspective.
Chinese: Tan Zhen Hong, Wang Yi Fan, & Lin Zhi Yi
Chilean: Viineshkumar & Zhang Wan Ru & Guan Yu
Week 5
I began to learn from the official website that the evolution of Chilean tableware profoundly reflects historical, cultural, and social changes. In the pre-Columbian period, the indigenous people used natural materials such as wood, stone, and bone to make simple and practical tableware, mainly for basic dietary needs. With the advent of the Spanish colonial period, metal tableware such as iron and silver knives and forks was introduced, gradually integrated into the European style, and popularized among the elite. After independence, industrialization promoted the mass production of tableware, metal tableware became more popular, and the design began to diversify, combining practicality and decorativeness. After entering the 20th century, the widespread use of new materials such as stainless steel made tableware design more modern, and the trend of globalization made Chilean tableware integrate a variety of international elements. Overall, the evolution of Chilean tableware has gone from simple and practical to diversified and modern, showing the integration and development of its history and culture.
Vnesh assigned us a task, asking me to make a PPT while he went to look for cultural research on Chile.
The initial PPT was very simple, just briefly explaining the forms and usage of Chilean and Chinese tableware. Because I needed to wait for my team members to complete the data collection results and the results of the interviews on the study of Chinese culture, I looked for some pictures.
For Chilean culture, an in-depth study was conducted to further understand Chilean culture by defining research questions, objectives, problems, and cultural aspects.
We met with our coach, Mr. Zeon, and briefly explained our group's progress. He gave me a lot of important points that I needed to make later, which also allowed me to enrich our group's PPT. Of course, he also mentioned a few points that were crucial to achieving the product we wanted to create. So we took these points he mentioned and included them in our Google Docs and Slides.
Then, I started to make slides. I needed to add the results of my team members' research and the necessary results of the interviews. In Mr. Zeon's feedback, I added a lot of content about tableware culture, history, and development. In addition, I focused on the Chinese chopsticks and Chilean knives and forks that we mainly studied. I found some pictures to facilitate our understanding. Of course, I added some icons to enrich the layout of the PPT. To make it look more beautiful. At best, I also marked the URL of the source of the picture so that it is convenient to check the original picture. My team members also helped me to correct the shortcomings of my layout. We all want our PPT to look more beautiful.
I know that this is a time that I learned a lot. For example, I was assigned to the Chilean team. When I went to look for Chilean culture, I learned that the evolution of Chilean utensils deeply reflects its history, culture, and social changes. This shocked me. It turns out that in addition to the Chinese chopsticks I know, there is also a lot of cultural knowledge. This also enriched my horizons and taught me more about tableware culture. Tableware culture is an important part of human food civilization. It not only reflects the eating habits, technical levels, and social structures of different regions and historical periods but also carries rich cultural symbols and social significance. Whether it is chopsticks in East Asia, knives and forks in the West, or the pilaf tradition in the Middle East, tableware is deeply rooted in their respective cultural soils and has become a symbol of identity, etiquette, and aesthetics. These are cultures that I have never known before, which opened my eyes and enriched my knowledge.
In addition, when I make PPT, I have to make relevant elements based on the topic we are studying. Of course, I also browsed a lot of excellent PPT content; including in the lecture class, the teacher showed us excellent PPT, which also made me learn how to enrich the PPT content. Mr. Zeon's feedback made me realize that when making a product, we should not only introduce the product but also understand the product's development history, the cultural symbolism of the country, and express the spirit of the product in the country and our understanding of the spirit of the product. This will help us understand the evolution of chopsticks and knives and forks and the spiritual culture. The development of culture needs to balance tradition and innovation and respect history and embrace change in order to create a cultural form that is both profound and dynamic.
This made me realize: in the process of pursuing modernization and globalization, do we pay enough attention to the protection and inheritance of local culture? How can we retain our own uniqueness and traditional values while absorbing foreign cultures? Through the evolution of Chilean utensils, we can see that the vitality of culture lies in its adaptability and inclusiveness, but it also requires us to cherish and inherit traditions. Only in the balance between tradition and innovation can culture truly radiate lasting charm and become a bridge connecting the past and the future.






Comments
Post a Comment