Intercultural Design | Project 3: Final Project

 

INTERCULTURAL DESIGN Project 3: Final Project 

Zhang Wan Ru 0368214

10/03/2025—23/03/2025 (Week 6-Week 7)

Design Principles / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media / Taylor's University

Project 3: Final Project 


TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. Instructions

2. Task

3. Reflection


Instructions



TASK

  • Sketches—Wan Ru
  • 3D Modelling + Photoshop - Zhen Hong
  • 3D Printing—Zhen Hong
  • AR Figma—Viinesh
  • Tiktok Videos - Yi Fan
  • Powerpoint - Guan Yu & Zhi Yi

In this final Task 3, I was assigned to make a sketch, which was a more detailed sketch, including that our model was made of a set of tableware, and I needed to design how to open the model and how the chopsticks, fork, spoon, and knife were linked together.

Then I began to observe our initial model and consider its portability and ease of use for the users. First of all, I was thinking about the appearance of our model. I designed two methods. One is the opening method using magnets, and the other is the method with an anchor. The first one is a more convenient way, which I came up with based on our first-generation model. The second one was inspired by the opening method of my false eyelash box, which gave me the idea.

Fig. 1.1 Inspiration

Fig. 1.2 Inspiration

Then I started to think about the connection method, that is, how to connect the tableware we designed. I considered two methods. One is the traditional Chinese connection method, "mortise and tenon joint," and the other is the most commonly seen connection method with screws. Of course, this is also the most convenient way for the general public.

Fig. 1.3 Sketch


These are the sources of the pictures I used when doing the design.
Fig. 1.3 Inspiration

Then I started to help my friend write the script for the video. Since there is a large amount of content in 
the video, we need to find more materials and sound effects.
Fig. 1.4 Edit The Script

Then I began to help with making the PPT, because there are a lot of things needed for the PPT. Then I 
summarized the result analysis of our Task 2 investigation and research. I conducted an 
analysis of the important data based on the results.

Fig 1.5 Edit The Date Analysis

Our product design requires the knowledge of auspicious clouds and chopsticks, as well as 
relevant 
pictures. So I started to browse and search for information about auspicious clouds and chopsticks on 
Baidu. Our product design requires the knowledge of auspicious clouds and chopsticks, as well as 
relevant pictures. So I started to browse and search for information about auspicious clouds and chopsticks 
on Baidu.
Fig 1.6 Edit The cloud 

In addition, I think our slides are a bit empty and there are too many icons, so I searched for 
some pictures
to enrich our slide file.




The submission requirements are as follows:
  • Introduction to your project
  • 200-word rationale (that you did during Task 1)
  • Summary of your data collection (more like a recap of things you did during Task 2)
  • Progress of your final project (it could be sketches, digital progression, or anything as long as it shows the progress of your final output—if it's a video, then your behind-the-scenes, for example).
  • Final output
  • Link to your e-portfolio(s)—individual links
  • Link to your TikTok account
  • 10-minute presentation 

Fig. 1.7 Presentation Slide For Final Project

 Click HERE to watch our TikTok videos

Fig. 1.8  Presentation of proposal video


Reflection

During this Task 3, we were extremely busy because there was a lot for us to do. We had toinvest a great deal of energy in designing a more detailed model and printing the 3D model.
When dealing with the more detailed aspects of the model design, I searched for a large 
amount of information and learned about various connection methods. Eventually, I selected 
the one that was more suitable for our own model design. The most challenging part for me was researching the representative mortise and tenon joint
technique in China. I thought about it for a long time and always felt that it wasn't very 
applicable to our model. After studying a vast amount of materials, I finally chose one of the 
methods. Additionally, I proposed another idea, which was to use the threading method. 
the most common way. Moreover, for the design of the model box, we adopted the commonly 
seen the Anchor method. Throughout the entire project, I deeply realized that communication and teamwork are the 
cornerstones of the successful completion of the project. Active collaboration among team 
members is essential. Only through clear and explicit discussions and mutual understanding 
Can we effectively coordinate various tasks? In this way, every team member can clearly 
understand the common goal and devote themselves fully to creating the final product. 
At the same time, I also noticed that conducting clear discussions is extremely crucial. 
Only in this way can each team member have a thorough understanding of their assigned 
tasks, effectively avoiding misunderstandings.
At the end of this course, I deeply felt the importance of my own culture.  This is not just 
about simply observing an object. Instead, it is about understanding the creative background 
of the object by delving into its historical background, traditions, the process of its evolution, 
the changes in its design, and the cultural influences on its usage. Learning about my own 
Culture has enabled me to understand the rich and colorful stories behind cultural handicrafts.
This also highlights the importance of protecting our culture and cultural heritage, and actively 
promoting our culture, with the aim of making more people aware of the significance of culture.





















 

Comments

Popular Posts