Advanced Typography: Task 3 Type Exploration & Application
Advanced Typography: Task 3 Type Exploration & Application
ZHANG WANRU / 0368214
Advanced Typography / Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
Task 3 Type Exploration & Application
Task 3 Type Exploration & Application
3.Task
First I watched some examples provided by Vinod sir and downloaded
some fonts I liked and drew inspiration from them. Then I browsed
a lot of font examples from Pinterest and finally decided on the
idea I wanted to do.
The proposal :task 3 proposal
Fig 3.3.1 proposal PDF (week 8)
Then I chose the third idea and sketched the capital letters. I
was inspired by using geometric shapes to make letters. Columns
not only symbolize strength and stability, but also embody the
beauty of smooth and eternal lines. I used columns to piece them
together. The whole font has a sense of support and space, similar
to the columns in architecture.
Fig 3.3.2 Sketch (week 9)
I know my sketches are sloppy, but they are the beginning of my design
process. I am using Adobe Illustrator to convert these sketches into a
clearer and more accurate digital form. In Illustrator, I use auxiliary
tools to ensure that the geometric proportions are more accurate, and to
strengthen the three-dimensional sense and visual beauty of the axis design.
The focus is to optimize the imperfect parts of the sketch, give the design
a more professional look, and make the font more fair. Through the functions
of Illustrator, I can better control the thickness and curvature of each
stroke, as well as the accuracy and stability of the overall composition, so
as to better reflect the flow, stability and power brought by the cylinder
as a source of inspiration.
Fig 3.3.3 Process Week10 (26/11/2024)
After finishing the design of the capital letters, I started to design the
lowercase letters. My design inspiration comes from the geometric shape of the
cylinder. Through smooth curves, simple proportion rules and vertical lines,
the natural transition from the capital letters to the style design of the
lowercase letters is made. The geometric shape of the cylinder is still used:
the round cylinder of the cylinder. Pay attention to the proportion.
Fig 3.3.4 Process Week10 (26/11/2024)
Then I felt that my font "V" looked irregular, so I asked Vinod sir for help.
Vinod sir said that I could fold the two lines in half, so that when they are
put together, it will look regular.
Fig 3.3.5 Font "V" Week10 (26/11/2024)
Then I modified the font "Z". I thought the font "Z" lacked design innovation.
Mr. Vinod gave me an idea and asked me to make the upper line of the upper and
lower lines of "Z" smaller, so that the upper line would be smaller and the
lower line would be larger.
Fig 3.3.6 Font "Z"Week10 (26/11/2024)
The lowercase "r" and "j" are relatively large, so I need to resize them to
distinguish them from the uppercase ones, so I reduced their horizontal size.
Fig 3.3.7 Font "r"Week10 (26/11/2024)

Fig 3.3.8 Font"j" Week10 (26/11/2024)
After completing the design of the uppercase and lowercase letters, I
began to enter the symbol design stage. The design of the symbol needs to
maintain beauty and functionality in different sizes and application
scenarios, while also being consistent with the original font style to
ensure the unity and coordination of the overall design. I referred to the
geometric structure and proportions of the completed uppercase and
lowercase letters to ensure that the symbol and the font are highly
visually harmonious. I used the geometric properties of the cylinder,
smooth curves and smooth arcs to outline the basic form of the symbol.
Fig 3.3.9 symbol design
Fig 3.3.9 Process Week10 (26/11/2024)
I chose to use the Font Lab app, which I was familiar with, because I
had used this app in the first semester.
Ascender Height: 649pt
Gap line:144pt
X-Height: 504pt
Baseline: 0pt
Descender Height: -188pt
Fig 3.3.10 Calculate the measurements of the letter, Week11 (12/12/2024)
Fig 3.3.11 Calculate the measurements of the letter, Week11 (12/12/2024)
Then, I import all the letterforms from Adobe Illustrator to
FontLab

Fig 3.3.12 Imported letterforms, Week11 (12/12/2024)
Fig 3.3.13 Uppercase and lowercase spacing, Week11 (12/12/2024)
Fig 3.3.14 Uppercase and lowercase spacing, Week11 (12/12/2024)
FontLab Link:
1.House of Columns SVG:
2.House of Columns Regular:
Fig 3.3.15 "House of Columns" font completion, Week 11 (12/12/2024)

Font presentations
Fig 3.3.17 Font Presentation 1 in jpg, Week 12 (13/12/2024)
Fig 3.3.18 Font Presentation 2 in jpg, Week 12 (13/12/2024)
Fig 3.3.19 Font Presentation 3 in jpg, Week 12 (13/12/2024)
Fig 3.3.20 Font Presentation 4 in jpg, Week 12 (13/12/2024)
Fig 3.3.21 Font Presentation 5 in jpg, Week 12 (13/12/2024)
Designing Application:
First, I think about what applications my font can be used for based on
the inspiration of my font design and the geometric cylinder symbol I
use.
I thought my font could be a pattern on clothes, so I used it on short
sleeves.
Fig 3.3.22 Font for pattern on clothes
Then I thought my font design could also be used on the bag as a logo.
Fig 3.3.23 Font for Bag process
Fig 3.3.24 Font for bag
I also found a picture of my favorite movie to use as its poster, which
can be used in the poster.
Fig 3.3.25 Font for poster process
Fig 3.3.26 Font for poster
Later, when I was listening to songs, I thought that I could make a text
display on a CD and put the name of the song on it.
Fig 3.3.27 Font for CD
Then I thought of magazines, I could make a magazine cover and use it for
the artistic font display on the magazine cover.
Fig 3.3.28 Font for Poster process
Fig3.3.29 Font for Poster
Font applications:
Fig 3.3.31 Font Application 2 in jpg, Week 12 (13/12/2024)

Fig 3.3.33 Font Application 4 in jpg, Week 12 (13/12/2024)
Fig 3.3.34 Font Application 5 in jpg, Week 12 (13/12/2024)
Final Task3 Submission:
FontLab Link:
1.House of Columns SVG:
2.House of Columns Regular:
Fig 3.3.35 "House of Columns" font completion, Week 11 (12/12/2024)
FontLab screen grab
Fig 3.3.36 FontLab screen grab Week12 (13/12/2024)
Fig 3.3.37 FontLab screen grab, Week12 (13/12/2024)
Five font presentations 1024px by 1024px each.
Fig 3.3.38 Font Presentation 1 in jpg, Week 12 (13/12/2024)
Fig 3.3.39 Font Presentation 2 in jpg, Week 12 (13/12/2024)
Fig 3.3.40 Font Presentation 3 in jpg, Week 12 (13/12/2024)
Fig 3.3.41 Font Presentation 4 in jpg, Week 12 (13/12/2024)
Fig 3.3.42 Font Presentation 5 in jpg, Week 12 (13/12/2024)
Fig 3.3.46 Font Application 4 in jpg, Week 12 (13/12/2024)
Fig 3.3.47 Font Application 5 in jpg, Week 12 (13/12/2024)
Fig 3.3.48 Overall Task 3 Font Presentation and Application in pdf, Week 12 (13/12/2024)
4.Feedback
Week9
General feedback:Mr. Vinod said that there are too many logos on my
water cup collateral, which are too complicated and too many. We
should reduce some of them and use them only for key results to make
the collateral more concise and clear.My own poster should remove
the background wall behind and replace it with a pure white
wall.
Specific feedback: Reduce the placement of some logos. Remove the background of the poster,
use Adobe Photoshop to cut me out of the picture, and replace it with a
white wall.
Week10
General feedback: The teacher asked me to go outside the grid format,
in order to make the format the same.
Specific feedback: Speed up and make lowercase letters
downwards.
Week11
General feedback:I asked Vinod sir to help me correct my capital "V"
and capital "Z" because I felt that the form of these two letters was
not comfortable. And also told me that my capital and lowercase "J"
were very long.Speed up.
Specific feedback:You can make the top horizontal line of "Z" smaller
and the bottom horizontal line longer. Adjust the size of the letter
"J", which is very large.
Week12
General feedback:All are fine.
Specific feedback:Vinod sir asked me to do Final according to the format he provided.I put all the works into a PDF format and inserted it.
5.Reflection
Experience:
This time, in the part of font design, I first felt the
endless challenges and hardships. Designing a complete set
of fonts, from uppercase letters to lowercase letters, to
punctuation marks and numbers, each item requires me to
devote a lot of effort and energy. This process is not only
tiring, but also a test of the limit of patience and
perseverance. However, it is this love and persistence for
design that allows me to find freedom and release in the
design process. Without the constraints and restrictions of
the outside world, I can give full play to my creativity and
give each letter and each symbol a unique vitality. I use
the symbol of the cylinder. As a geometric form, the
cylinder symbolizes stability and support. It has the beauty
of strength, order and balance. At the same time, the circle
is eternal and cyclical, representing the endless harmonious
bridge connecting heaven and earth, symbolizing the spirit
of communication whether it is containment or unity.
Reliable sense of power and modern aesthetics. I still used
the Fontlab App to adjust the left and right, because in the
last semester I only adjusted the lowercase letters, and
this time I also learned uppercase letters, punctuation
marks and numbers. When the final work is presented, the
satisfaction and sense of accomplishment from the inside out
cannot be replaced by any words.
Observations:
During the process of font design, I gradually discovered that designing
fonts is not a simple doodle or graffiti, but an art that requires deep
aesthetic literacy and typography knowledge. I realized that an excellent
font design should not only have visual beauty, but also take into account
practicality and readability. In order to achieve this goal, I constantly
observed and studied various classic fonts to learn their typography
principles and aesthetic laws. And I used arcs and soft curves in font
design to avoid overly sharp right angles. At the same time, I also noticed
that every detail in font design is crucial, and even a small adjustment of
the letter form may have a crucial impact on the overall design. This
extreme pursuit of details has given me a deeper understanding of the
essence of font design. And in Adobe illustrate App, I should pay more
attention to the width of each cylinder when adjusting, because the width
will change every time I move the direction.
Findings:
Through this type design experience, I made many valuable discoveries.
First of all, I realized that custom fonts are not just an expression of
personalization, but also a pursuit of design consistency. During the
creation process, I constantly try to find a balance between letters,
numbers, and punctuation to ensure harmony and unity in the overall
design. Secondly, I deeply understand the importance of fonts in visual
communication. An excellent font design can significantly improve the
transmission of information and enhance the visual impact. Finally, I also
realized that type design is a never-ending art. Every attempt is a new
exploration, and every failure is a valuable accumulation of experience.
It is these constant attempts and explorations that have given me a deeper
understanding of font design. This font design journey not only allowed me
to gain valuable experience, but also allowed me to continue to grow
through observation and discovery. I believe that in the future of design,
I will continue to uphold this love and persistence and constantly pursue
a higher design realm.
6.Further Reading
Fig 6.1 THE VIGNELLI CANON
《The Vignelli Canon》 is a design classic written by Italian
design master Massimo Vignelli, who is world-renowned for his
pursuit of simple and timeless design style. This book
summarizes his experience in graphic design, brand performance
design and product design, explains the design principles of
elegance, functionality and process, and provides valuable
theoretical and practical guidance for designers.
Fig6.2 Instructions
Vignelli's design philosophy always adheres to functionalism
and minimalist style. He believes that design should be
function-oriented, pursue concise, clear and intuitive
expression, and also pay attention to the clarity of
information conveyed and the beauty of visual effects.
Tangible factors:
Paper grid: A tool used for layout and typography that
helps designers better control the position and size of page
elements.
Margin: The space around the page that gives the page a
comfortable "breathing feeling".
Column: Horizontal lines that divide the page into several
areas, which helps designers better organize page
content.
Module: Page areas with the same properties or
characteristics, which helps designers better manage page
elements and improve work efficiency.
Fig 6.3 Grids, Margins, Columns and Modules
Intangible factors:
Semantics: Study the meaning of design, help designers
understand the essence of the project, and find the most
appropriate direction for the development of new designs.
Syntax: Focus on the organization and relationship between
design elements to ensure that the design works present a
harmonious and unified overall effect visually.
Pragmatics: Consider the context and effect of the design
works in actual use to ensure that the design can meet the
needs and expectations of users.








































Comments
Post a Comment